Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Crock Pot Pea-nutty Asian Chicken

So much for my goal.  My blogging goal.  At the beginning of the year, I made it my goal to blog every week, on Tuesday, with a longer term goal of posting twice per week.  Like a real blogger.  January was great; right on target.  But then came February.  One post.  Not so good.  And here it is, almost the middle of March, and this is my first post of the month.  How is time getting away from me?  I'm not sure.  I could make excuses (and believe me, I have some!), but as my mom used to tell me, "Tomorrow is a new day."  Or today is the start of a new month.  Or a new year, for that matter.  Basically, it's never too late to change.  So let's try this one again, 'kay?

Several years ago I was in a Bunco group with a bunch of other moms from my MoPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) group.  We'd get together once a month for a girls night, with the hostess providing dinner, dessert, and snacks.  It was always a great night out, and there was always really good food.  This recipe was one I picked up from a Bunco friend.  I've tweaked it slightly, but it's still the same hearty, tasty meal that's quick and easy to throw together in the morning.  It smells fantastic while it's cooking all day long and tastes even better!


Crock Pot Pea-nutty Asian Chicken
Printer-friendly copy

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut in bite-size chunks
2 Tbsp. Land O Lakes light butter
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 pkg. fresh sliced white mushrooms
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) 98% fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sliced celery
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup Jasmine rice
1/4 c. House of Tsang Sweet Ginger Sesame Grill Sauce
1/4 cup peanuts (or cashews) (optional)

Directions:
Combine chicken, light butter, green onion, mushrooms, soup, celery, bell pepper, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a Crock Pot or slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.  Just before chicken is ready to serve, cook the rice according to package directions.  Serve the chicken over cooked rice with sauce drizzled over the top.  Garnish with nuts if desired.

Serves:  4
Calories:  433, plus optional nuts

1 comment:

  1. I love adding peanuts to asian dishes! The extra crunch and texture goes a long way. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete